Friday, July 6, 2007

Mt. Saskatchewan - 8





As the 3 guys were making their way back to base camp Trev looked behind him (he was last in line) and realized that they were causing mini avalanches where they were walking as the snow was so soft. They found a ledge that had an overhanging ledge above it to protect themselves from avalanches. They ended up having to spend the night on the ledge as a storm blew in and there were avalanches going off all around them. The satellite message I received read - 12 hr cliff bivi due 2 severe snow, summit doubtful, safe at basecamp. I found out after they got home about the cold temperatures and storm and all the avalanches. Trev was good about letting me know what I needed to know but without scaring me! There was enough room on the ledge for the guys to be able to lean against their backpacks and that was about it. The third picture shows a steep dropoff from their ledge.

No comments: