Friday, October 2, 2009
Introducing!!!
Ava made a grand entrance into this world and is now known around the labor and delivery ward as the toilet baby! Apparently I do not do normal labors, Noah's was also considered abnormal. With Noah my water broke and he was born 20 hours later so when my water broke this time around I didn't think to much of it and was in no rush to get to the hospital.
My water broke at 3:15 and by 3:30 I was having regular contractions every 5 minutes but they were bearable and I could walk and talk through them. We arrived at the hospital at 4:30 and it was confirmed that my water had broken and the baby was fine. The doctor came to check on me and see how far I was dilated at 6pm. At this point my contractions were coming every 3 minutes and I was 6-7cm dilated. We sat and talked with the doctor for a bit and during this time my contractions started getting closer and closer together and were very painful. I asked for some drugs so the doc went to get the nurse to get me set up. The nurse came in and said we would go down the hall to the delivery room, get me settled into bed and she would bring me a shot of morphine. Just before we left triage I had about 4 or 5 contractions one on top of the other and I couldn't move, as soon as they were over we raced down the hall. I really had to go to use the bathroom so I headed for the toilet instead of the bed. As I was going (I know TMI) I felt the head coming down. I yelled to Trev to get the doctor and he told me to breathe and relax everything was fine, and I screamed again get the doctor the baby was coming now. He ran into the hallway yelled for a doctor, ran to the bed hit the call button and then came and lifted me off the toilet. A nurse came running in, managed to get one glove on and bent down to take a look and she yelled we have a head. One more push and I delivered Ava into the nurses hands just as the doctor and 3 other nurses arrived. We all stood there in shock looking at each other and then we started laughing. I looked at all of them and commented that I was done, I had just had a baby and it was girl. It was hilarious with 3 of us crammed into this little bathroom, the doctor and a nurse standing in the doorway with more nurses behind them. I sat back down on the toilet, delivered the placenta into in and Trev cut the cord right there. Marie, the amazing nurse who caught Ava, stayed there crouched the whole time holding Ava and keeping her safe. It took a while for the shock to wear off and to realize that just like that it was over and we now had a beautiful little girl. We estimated the time of birth to be 7pm as no one was really paying attention. From start to finish my labor was just under 4 hours long.
She is perfectly healthy and there were no complications despite her fast crazy entrance into the world and we were home before she was even 24 hours old. Now onto life as the mother of 2!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Wow! What a story! Jason has a student who was born this way, funny! Congratulations. Ava is beauitful!
Ava is beautiful!! Congratulations guys!!
Love, Chris, Julia and Olivia
Oh my gosh she is just too cute. I am so anxious to meet her. I am slowly getting familiar with her look through pictures but it just isn't the same.
I would like to see more pictures please.
Wow!!! You must be a legend around your hospital! They will be talking about the "pain-free" baby and now the "bathroom" baby for years! :-) Congratulations, what an amazing story! Welcome to motherhood of two! :-)
Oh my goodness! She is such a little cutie! Can't wait to see more pics! Congratulations again to you, Trev & big brother Noah!
Jan
beautiful little girl...hopefully c u guys the next time we get to okotoks...
Post a Comment