Thursday, October 9, 2008

Dumbo

The day after we got back for our holidays Noah and I traveled to Manitoba with my parents as my grandma was very sick and would not be with us much longer. She passed away a few days later and it was a sad and a happy time knowing that she was reunited with her husband and home with Jesus.

While we were out there we had a few fun?! experiences. The main one was our child morphing in to Dumbo. Noah had a severe allergic reaction that required a trip to the emergency room and a lot of Benadryl. I was on the farm alone and was told there was a vehicle in the garage if I needed it. We had had egg salad for lunch and shortly afterward Noah went down for his nap. When he woke up from his nap he had a little red pimple on his neck and I just thought he had scratched a bump. Soon he was rubbing his ears but that is pretty normal for him as he is teething. All of the sudden he was rubbing his face on the couch and my leg and seemed out of sorts. I picked him up and his whole neck was covered in hives. I called my cousin Mandy, who was coming to visit me, to bring along some antihistimine. Within about 3 minutes he was covered from neck to knee in hives and his whole face blew up. I now started to panic as I was not sure if his throat would swell up next. I threw the car seat in the truck, half buckled Noah up and took off down the country roads, praying that I would remember how to get to the hopsital. I called Mandy to say I was on the way to the hospital and she told me that she would be right there and could drive us in. She called the walk-in clinic to ask if we should come there are the hospital and they said to come to the clinic. We drove past the hospital and into town to the clinic. When we walked in a doctor was up front signing a prescription. She took one look at Noah, made a face and whipped out her stethascope. She said his breathing was fine but to go straight to the hospital. So back we went in the direciton we had just come from. At the hospital they gave him some drugs and we sat and watched him. Since I knew everything was okay I whipped out the camera to capture the moment, the paramedics in the hallway were laughing at me! His face was swollen for the rest of the day and provided some laughter for the family.

We still don't know what he reacted to as he had both egg and sunflower seeds that day and both are highly allergic, so my family doctor has me carrying an epi pen and Noah is going for allergy testing on Thursday. That should be a fun appointment! I am sure that Noah will be mad at me one day for posting these pictures but they are just too funny not to share. These pictures do not do the outbreak justice but they will have to do.






This picture gives you an idea of how red and big his ears were.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be honest I laughed out loud when I saw these pictures. Priceless.